Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Adoption Day

I've mentioned that I am an adoptive mom of five little ones, so without waiting any longer it's my honor to tell you about our latest adoption.

After spending 1221 days in state custody, on December 18, 2015, my husband and I adopted our daughters Justina and Vanessa from the foster system.


 The girls came to us a little over one year ago as an adoptive placement. The case goal had changed to adoption while they were in their previous placement, so all of the hard parts of foster care were taken care of before they came to live with us. We just had to wait out the time it took to file for termination of parental rights and for the adoption hearing.

We were their third placement after a failed reunification and a disrupted pre-adoptive placement. The girls went through a lot during the three and a half years they spent in care, but thankfully that part of their life is over, and they can begin the healing process.

On their big day, we had to wake up at 5 A.M. to get ready. We had to leave our house by 6:45 in order to make sure we made the hour long trip to the courthouse safely with time to spare.

My parents drove into town from Arkansas, and our church's amazing children's pastor drove down to be with us as well. We were surrounded by the people we love and cherish us.



There were six families and eight children being adopted that day. We were all told to be there at 8:30, but the judge didn't even start calling for the adoptions until almost 9:45. Once they started the hearings, everything moved smoothly. Our family's adoption ended up being the next to last on the docket that day, so we had plenty of time for the kids to run around and "play." The kid's bio grandma came prepared, and she brought crayons and huge coloring books for them to keep themselves busy with. 



My mom took pictures of the kids while we were waiting to be called into court. She posed them next to the Christmas tree. 



Once we were summoned into court, we were in there a total of maybe ten minutes, and it was over. The girls were announced with their new names, and in that moment we were a forever family.  


After the adoption was complete, we exited the courthouse as one big forever family.


 While outside, my parents handed me a gift. Inside was a Christmas ornament with our names on it.


 I couldn't believe it! I had been looking for this specific ornament for months, but I could only find them with enough spaces for four or less kids. 

We left the courthouse and went out to eat with my wonderful Mother in Law and my parents at a local BBQ place. We ate and talked until it was time for all of us to head back home. 

Their adoption, just like my other three children's adoptions, will be a day I never forget. Parents that give birth will always remember the day their child came into the world and entered their family, and the same goes with us and the days we adopted our children into our family, forever. 


I'll leave you with the picture of Justina and Vanessa's adoption shirts. It couldn't have been more fitting than to wear it on that day. "Nothing is more precious than family." 


-Alicia


1 comment:

  1. This just made my heart absolutely MELT!!!! I have been struggling with unexplained infertility for over 12 years now and have currently been undergoing infertility treatments. Then just a few weeks back was finally told that I will not be able to become pregnant and they are sure of it. SO while I am deeply saddened about it, I am also still hopeful because we would still like to try adoption. And matter of fact, we are starting foster to adopt classes here in Florida next month. SO I am over joyed to see such a happy ending! I will deff be following your blog for updates. What a beautiful family u have!

    www.thesaltlifewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete