Monday, December 28, 2015

The Scariest Night of My Life

The other night, December 26, 2015, I experienced one of the scariest moments of my life.

My husband and I, along with our kids, were on the way home from our last family Christmas (in the rain) when we had to make a big detour due to high water.  After going around town to avoid the high water/low road areas, we finally turned on to our street, and out of nowhere we hit a huge flooded area. The van shut down, and water started to rise inside the van. I knew we needed to get the kids out, so we scrambled to unbuckle them and I started yelling as loud as I could for help. By that point, the water was up above my knees a few inches.
This pic was taken as a screenshot from a video I made as lighting lit up the sky.

After screaming for what seemed like forever, but in reality was probably only one minute, the neighbors heard me and came running to help us. They each grabbed a screaming/crying kid and got them out of the water. They led us into their house to dry off and warm up where they gave our kids drinks and bananas to calm them down.


By the grace of God we eventually made it home safe and completely unharmed. Our van on the otherhand is d-e-a-d. I know so many people will probably blame me for driving into the fooded area, but before you judge me please let me explain.

The defrost on our van has not been working properly, so luke and I continuously wiped the windshield as I was driving just so I could see the road to get us home. I had literally just said, "good, we are on our street, we made it ok" when we hit the water. We didnt even see the flood water because the window was so fogged. Had I been able to see what I was about to drive into, I never would have attempted to drive down the road, and I never would have willingly put my family in danger.

After we arrived home, I started getting the kids into dry clothes and they started talking and processing outloud what had just happened. My oldest daughter and my son began to tell me that while I was trying to make sure everyone was unbuckled and I was yelling for help, I began to scream "Jesus! Please help us. Jesus!" I dont remember crying out for Him, but I believe my children when they say I did. They told me it was right before the neighbors heard my screams and came running out to help us. My oldest daughter said, "mom, Jesus saved us because you called for Him."

As I think about what happened, I am remind of the lyrics from the song, "Just say Jesus" by 7eventh Time Down. Part of the lyrics say, "Whisper it now, or shout it out
However it comes out, He hears your cry
Out of nowhere He will come
You gotta believe it
He will rescue you
Just call out to the way, the truth, the life

When you don't know what to say
Just say Jesus
There is power in the name
The name of Jesus
If the words won't come cause you're too afraid to pray
There is just one name, strong enough to save
There is just one name
There is just one name
Jesus"   

I can't help but give credit where it is due. The fact that we were able to get out of our van with all five kids and zero injuries tells me that God protected us. I truly believe that when I called on His name, He rescued us by sending help. Our neighbors told us that had one of them not walked in their bathroom at that exact moment, they never would have heard me screaming. There is no way that is a coincidence. It's a divine intervention. How profound that when we call on Him, He LITERALLY saves us.



I will forever be grateful for the protecting hand of God on our lives and the kindness of strangers. I'm feeling extra blessed this holiday season.

-Alicia

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! I'm in tears. That would definitely be the scariest day of my life as well. Praise God that y'all all got out safely!

    ReplyDelete